A 2-year-old British girl reportedly died after contracting E. coli at a “disgusting” hotel in Turkey, the child’s devastated mom claimed.
Little Allie Birchall and her family from Greater Manchester were on vacation at the all-inclusive Crystal Sunset Luxury Resort and Spa outside the city of Antalya when Allie and her family got sick, the UK’s Mirror reported.
According to the news outlet, all members of the family experienced stomach cramps and diarrhea during their 10-day stay at the hotel over the summer, but Allie’s condition severely worsened when the family returned home.
The child was rushed to Royal Bolton Hospital in the UK and later put in an induced coma.
On Aug. 3, Allie’s family took her off life support and she died just three weeks before what would have been her 3rd birthday, the report said.
“Food was sometimes left uncovered and occasionally served lukewarm, and there were birds occasionally flying around the food,” said Allie’s heartbroken mom Katie Dawson, according to the Mirror.
“We saw feces in the swimming pool and I spoke to other [people on vacation] who saw the feces in the pool on more than one occasion, and staff just scooped it out without closing the pool or giving it a thorough clean,” Dawson claimed.
The mom added: “The walls in the children’s toilets were also smeared with feces. It was disgusting.”
According to the Mirror, Allie contracted E. coli, which later led her to develop hemolytic uremic syndrome – a severe complication of E. coli infection that cause kidney failure.
“Allie was such a beautiful, happy girl and we are all utterly heartbroken,” the mom said. “we still can’t believe she’s gone.”