Thomas Cook passengers and crew 'held to ransom' in Cuba

The Independent Traveling 1 month ago

After the giant holiday company Thomas Cook collapsed, around 60 British holidaymakers and 11 flight crew are said to have been “held to ransom” in a hotel in eastern Cuba.

The holidaymakers, plus nine cabin crew and two pilots, were due to fly home on Tuesday afternoon aboard Thomas Cook Airlines flight 2817 from the city of Holguin to Gatwick.

They were due in at 6.30am on Wednesday, but are now waiting for a promised rescue flight.

They have been staying at the Paradisus Rio de Oro hotel, on the north coast of the island close to the resort of Guardalavaca.

Hotel managers in Cuba and other Thomas Cook destinations have been told that the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) will foot the bill for accommodation.

British passengers with Thomas Cook wait in long queue at Antalya airport in Turkey
Reuters
People carry bags and boxes outside the Peterborough headquarters. A total of 22,000 jobs - including 9,000 in UK - to be lost following administration
More than 150,000 British holidaymakers need to be brought home, with the government and CAA hiring dozens of charter planes to fly customers home free of charge
The group failed to reach a last-ditch rescue deal, triggering the UK's biggest repatriation since World War II to bring back stranded passengers
Passengers talk to Civil Aviation Authority employees at Mallorca Airport after Thomas Cook declared bankruptcy
The 178-year-old operator had been desperately seeking £200 million from private investors to save it from collapse
Pedestrians walk past a closed branch of a Thomas Cook
AFP/Getty
A British Government official talks to passengers
A woman carries a box through the carpark
People line up in front of a Thomas Cook counter at the Heraklion airport
A British Government official assists passengers
AFP/Getty
Reuters
Passengers sit on the floor
Tourists, flying with Thomas Cook, queue at the Enfidha International airport
A man sits outside
Passengers wait inside Split airport
Thomas Cook staff speak with British passengers
Reuters

But one member of Thomas Cook cabin crew, Danny Cossar, reported on video: “We were due to check out and get to the airport this afternoon. We were taken back off the bus, and we were told, as well as the passengers, we all had to pay. 

“We feel completely isolated over here, no real communication at all, it’s just a matter of waiting and seeing if we can get this flight home tonight or whether we’ll be here for the night.

“We haven’t any rooms, there’s nothing put in place for us, it’s just a waiting game.”

All Thomas Cook flights ceased on Monday morning, leaving passengers and crew dependent upon an airlift organised by the CAA – code-named “Operation Matterhorn”.

The repatriation mission aims to get most of the 155,000 Thomas Cook customers abroad back to Britain on the day they were expecting. The CAA is also seeking to help flight crew.

A UK government spokesperson said: “We understand that this is a hugely distressing situation for Thomas Cook passengers, people with holidays booked with Thomas Cook and Thomas Cook staff.

“The government have deployed teams on the ground to support those affected, and are in contact with local authorities and hotels.”

Late on Tuesday night, the UK’s embassy in Cuba tweeted that hotels had been instructed to allow passengers to leave. It said: “Hotels in #Cuba now have authority/instruction to allow customers, and air crew, to depart without paying (on basis of ATOL guarantee).  Very grateful for patience of all affected in distressing circumstances.”

Betty Knight, 52, who has worked for Thomas Cook as cabin crew for the last 13 years, has been liaising with her colleagues who are currently stranded in Cuba.

She said that some are getting extremely distressed: “Some of them are young mums, desperate to get home. They have been held to ransom.”

The cabin crew say they were asked for £3,000 in cash. When the captain offered to pay the bill by credit card, he was refused – apparently because it was issued by a US bank.

Because of Washington’s economic embargo against Cuba, American credit cards are difficult to use in Cuba.

The Independent has also been told that British tourists were “being held in the lobby” of another hotel along the coast, the Brisas Guardalavaca.

Sherry Bullough said that her parents had been told they must pay for their stay. She told The Independent: “They are being asked for £1,000 but they haven’t got the money to pay.

“They have had a meeting but been told that they can’t really do anything. The hotel have turned the wifi off. They aren’t allowing recording of meetings or confrontations. It’s so very upsetting.”

The British Ambassador to Havana, Antony Stokes, has become involved and is negotiating with the Cuban authorities on behalf of the passengers and crew.

Late on Tuesday evening, it emerged that crew from French and German airlines had offered to help their British colleagues with emergency accommodation and even offered to help find space on flights to Europe.

Cuba is highly dependent on tourism. Under Barack Obama, the US trade embargo was eased, and tens of thousands of Americans visited the island. But Donald Trump has tightened the regulations to rule out mainstream tourism. 

British visitors started travelling to Cuba in large numbers in 1994.

The island will be hard hit by the collapse of Thomas Cook. The firm was expected to take around 2,000 visitors a week to Cuba during the winter season. There is no prospect of other companies stepping in at short notice to launch replacement flights to the island.


Source link
Read also:
The Guardian › Finance › 1 month ago
Failure of world’s oldest travel company leaves bosses facing tough questions over their pay and performanceFormer Thomas Cook bosses under fire for excessive payUK ministers accused of sealing Thomas Cook’s fateMonday: Thomas Cook travel chaos...
Business Insider › Automobile › 1 month ago
British travel company Thomas Cook declared bankruptcy early on Monday morning, leaving around 600,000 travelers stranded around the world. Travelers impacted by Thomas Cook's collapse are sharing their stories of cancelled vacations, lost money, and...
Business Insider › Lifestyle › 1 month ago
Thomas Cook, the once-illustrious British travel company and airline, declared bankruptcy early Monday morning. Before failing to secure $249 million in emergency funding and leaving 600,000 travelers stranded, Thomas Cook was one of the oldest and...
The Sun › Finance › 1 month ago
BRITAIN’S largest ever peacetime repatriation has been launched in order to bring home marooned Thomas Cook passengers. There are 600,000 Thomas Cook travellers who have been left stuck at 51 destinations in 17 countries – but how will they return...
Express › 3 weeks ago
THE UK has been held to ransom by a small number of MPs in Parliament determined to frustrate Brexit at all costs, Wetherspoons founder Tim Martin has said - and without them, he predicted Britain would already have left the EU with a better deal than...
BBC News › Finance › 1 month ago
Several Thomas Cook holidaymakers say their hotels are not letting them leave until they are paid extra.
BBC News › Finance › 1 month ago
The Civil Aviation Authority says flights have been arranged to get Thomas Cook holidaymakers back.
The Sun › 1 week ago
A BOOZY midwife was kicked off a Thomas Cook plane for an “over the top film kiss” on a flight to the Dominican Republic. Complaints were made to cabin crew after passengers saw Diane Gill, 57, and her partner “kissing amorously”. They were...
Evening Standard › Finance › 1 month ago
The final Thomas Cook passengers being flown home as part of a massive emergency repatriation were due to arrive in England on Monday, just as a refunds programme was launched.
Fox News › Traveling › 2 weeks ago
A travel influencer says his Instagram page was recently hacked and held for ransom and wants his story to be a cautionary tale to others.
Sign In

Sign in to follow sources and tags you love, and get personalized stories.

Continue with Google
OR