The Minnesota Timberwolves (0-0) and Brooklyn Nets (0-0) get their 2019-20 NBA seasons underway Wednesday at Barclays Center. Tip-off is scheduled for shortly after 7:30 p.m. ET. In this one, we focus on the Timberwolves-Nets odds and lines, with NBA betting advice and tips around the matchup.
Timberwolves at Nets: By the numbers
Place a legal sports bet on this NBA action or other games at BetMGM.
- Minnesota swept the two games against Brooklyn last year and have won three of the previous four meetings (11-6 since 2011).
- Both teams topped 100 points in each of last year's two meetings.
- The Nets went 3-1 in preseason action, while the Timberwolves went 2-3.
- The Nets outscored their opposition 112.3 to 100 on average. The Timberwolves were outscored by their opponents 116.8 to 115.
- The Nets shocked many by going 42-40 and making the playoffs as the sixth seed in the East. Things ended quickly in Round 1 but few expected Brooklyn to even win 40 games last year or make the playoffs. Their scoring margin was -0.1 points per game.
- The Timberwolves went just 36-46 and were outscored 114 to 112.5.
- The Nets added Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving in the offseason. Durant is coming off a torn Achilles', but do not rule him out for all of 2019-20 just yet. As for Irving, he signed a four-year max deal with Brooklyn and will start for the Nets despite a preseason facial fracture.
- The Timberwolves did not make any significant moves in the offseason - just a few minor deals to round out their roster. Expectations are that this is another rebuilding year for Minnesota anyway.
- The Nets ranked fourth in the NBA with 106.0 possessions per game last season. The Clippers ranked 12th with 104.4 possessions per game.
- Last year's head-to-head series went 1-1 against the Over/Under.
Timberwolves at Nets: Key injuries
Nets Kevin Durant (OUT) - Achilles'
Timberwolves at Nets: Odds, picks and betting tips
NBA odds courtesy of BetMGM; access USA TODAY Sports for a full set of today's betting odds. Odds last updated at 8:00 a.m. ET.
Moneyline : Take the NETS at -162 odds with Irving expected to play a full load and that home advantage. Even without Durant, the Nets could still finish in the upper half of the Eastern Conference with ease. A $10 bet pays a profit of $6.17 with a Nets' victory.
Line : Get even more value on the Nets by taking the -125 odds for them to cover a modest spread of -2.5 and win by three or more points. Minnesota won each meeting by ten and seven points. However, that was last season. Brooklyn has improved while Minnesota has not.
Over/Under : Last year's two meetings topped Wednesday's projected total of 228.5 only once. Take the OVER anyway in the series opener with +105 odds.
Want some action in this one? Place a bet at BetMGM now. For more sports betting tips, visit SportsbookWire.com.
Gannett may earn revenue from audience referrals to betting services. Newsrooms are independent of this relationship and there is no influence on news coverage.