The Cleveland Cavaliers (0-0) and Orlando Magic (0-0) tip off the 2019-20 National Basketball Association regular season at Amway Center Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. ET. We analyze the Cavaliers-Magic odds and lines, while offering NBA betting picks and tips around this matchup.
The Cavs continued to add young talent during the draft, and it will be interesting to see how Darius Garland, their first-round pick, jells with Collin Sexton and Jordan Clarkson. First-year coach John Beilein, formally of the University of Michigan, certainly has his work cut out for him. At least the return of big man Kevin Love will help ease the transition somewhat.
The Magic were a playoff team last season, and they look to build momentum and scoot up the Eastern Conference standings. D.J. Augustin, Evan Fournier and Aaron Gordon are the base, along with Terrence Ross, and they brought in Al-Farouq Aminu and Markelle Fultz for some depth, as the fans in O-Town are thinking big. F Jonathan Isaac is a young player on the rise, too.
Cavaliers at Magic: By the numbers
Place a legal sports bet on this NBA action or other games at BetMGM.
- Clarkson (16.8 PPG) and Sexton (16.7 PPG) give the Cavaliers some offensive punch as long as they can stay healthy.
- Isaac averaged 9.6 PPG and 5.5 rebounds per game (RPG) in 2018-19, and figures to take another step forward in his development.
- C Tristan Thompson is a producer down low in Cleveland, posting 10.9 PPG and 10.2 RPG last season.
- These teams met three times in 2018-19, with the home team winning each battle while going 2-1 ATS.
- The Cavs are 9-4 ATS in their past 13 meetings in Orlando, and the underdog is 6-1 ATS in the past seven meetings.
- The 'under' hit in all three 2018-19 meetings, and five straight in this series.
Cavaliers at Magic: Key injuries
Cavaliers C Ante Zizic (foot) will be sidelined at least one more month, while C/PF John Henson (ankle, groin) is questionable.
Cavaliers at Magic: Odds, picks and betting tips
NBA odds courtesy of BetMGM; access USA TODAY Sports for a full set of today's betting odds. Odds last updated Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. ET.
Moneyline : The Cavaliers (+280) are an awfully tempting play at this price, but the Magic (-358) won't get tripped up at home. The risk is too high at this price, however. Look to the line, and avoid both MLs.
Line : The MAGIC (-8.5, -106) are the play here, although you might have to sweat it out into the fourth quarter (welcome, to basketball betting!) before you are feeling good about your wager.
Over/under : The UNDER 214.5 (-129) is the play here. It cashed in all three meetings last season, and each of the past five. Until these teams start going for big numbers against each other, mind the trends. New to sports betting? For the under to hit, both teams need to combine to score 214 points or less. If that happens, a $10 wager returns a profit of $7.75.
Want some action in this one? Place a bet at BetMGM now. For more sports betting tips, visit SportsbookWire.com.
Gannett may earn revenue from audience referrals to betting services. Newsrooms are independent of this relationship and there is no influence on news coverage.