Eric Kay, a 24-year employee of the Angels’ PR department, told the Drug Enforcement Agency he had provided opioids to Skaggs and used them with the pitcher for years, according to the ESPN report Saturday. Kay reportedly watched as Skaggs snorted three lines of crushed pills in his hotel room in Texas, on the night before he was found dead.
Kay also told the DEA he believes several other Angels players used opioids, ESPN reported.
Skaggs was found dead in his Southlake, Texas hotel room July 1, three days before the start of a series against the Rangers. The Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office said the 27-year-old died after choking on his vomit with a toxic mix of alcohol, fentanyl and oxycodone. They also ruled his death accidental.
A little over a month ago on Aug. 30, Skaggs’ family said they were shocked that an employee of the Los Angeles Angels played a part in his death.
(© Copyright 2019 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)