My toes bled and I nearly lost my leg after being bitten by a mystery flesh-eating bug in Benidorm

The Sun 1 month ago

A MUM-of-one has told how she almost lost her leg after being bitten by a mystery critter during a girls’ holiday to Benidorm.

Faye Wilkes, 41, from Dartford, Kent, was sunbathing by the hotel pool with her sister Carrie, 43, when she felt a bug bite her left foot.

Faye Wilkes, right, was holidaying in Benidorm with her sister Carrie, left, when she was bitten by a mystery bug

She swiftly batted the pest away and sprayed herself with insect repellent to prevent further bites.

The personal assistant told Fabulous Digital: “I felt like I had been stabbed in my left leg. It instantly began burning up and I thought it was probably just a silly mosquito bite, so I went into the pool to cool it off.

“But as I went in, my leg started to burn up more and my toes began bleeding, which I thought was odd, but dismissed it until the next morning, as I didn’t want to waste anybody’s time.”

Faye and Carrie had booked the Spanish trip to cheer themselves up after losing their dad Raymond, 66, to lung cancer. But it quickly turned into the holiday from hell.

Faye’s condition quickly worsened and her foot was ‘eaten’ away

Four days into their break, Faye’s condition worsened. She said: “I woke up in the middle of the night with a shooting pain up and down my leg and when I tried to stand up to get to the bathroom, I collapsed on the floor.

“I had to call a doctor out, as there was no way I could walk to the hospital on my own and I knew I needed help right away – but he gave me some anti-inflammatory tablets and told me to get to the hospital as soon as possible.”

I felt like I had been stabbed in my left leg. It instantly began burning up

Faye Wilkes

Faye claims doctors at the Spanish hospital refused to take her seriously. She said: “After it started scabbing and I had difficulty walking, I knew I needed to get help, but the Spanish doctors just fobbed me off as another ‘British drunk’ who had fallen over. I was horrified.

“I was in so much pain and when the doctor came back to tell me the X-ray looked like I just had a sprained ankle, I was furious. They sent me back to the hotel with a pair of crutches.”

Faye had booked the trip to cheer herself up after the death of her beloved dad Raymond
Faye’s condition gradually got worse over the next four days

Faye and Carrie cut short their holiday three days early to seek medical help in the UK.

Upon arrival at Gatwick airport, she was rushed to East Surrey Hospital where doctors told her it was likely to be necrotising fasciitis, which is when bacteria enters a wound, that had developed into sepsis.

Doctors in the UK said I would have died – or would have at least needed my limb amputated if I didn’t get treatment within 24 hours

Faye Wilkes

Faye said: “I trusted my gut instinct and flew home straight away and I’m glad I did, as doctors in the UK said I would have died – or would have at least needed my limb amputated if I didn’t get treatment within 24 hours.

“I was absolutely horrified, as I didn’t think a measly bite from a bug in Benidorm would result in sepsis, let alone the loss of my leg.

Faye enjoying her Spanish break before the bug bit her
Faye was relaxing by the hotel pool when the insect nibbled her left foot

“Luckily, they were able to flush out the infection without having to do any invasive surgery, but I still feel incredibly weak.

“They couldn’t find the bug in my system, so were unable to work out which one caused me to have sepsis, but I’m glad that I went to the hospital when I did, as I was close to death.”
After taking seven different antibiotics and spending over four months in intensive care, the infection cleared up – but Faye is still traumatised by the ordeal.

She said: “Although they got rid of the infection, my foot and leg is still scarred and my circulation is awful, so I have to keep it propped up near enough 24/7.
“I have a community nurse that visits me every three months to check my leg and my blood pressure, to make sure that it doesn’t drop, as that could be a sign that the infection is back.

Faye’s foot is still scarred and she regularly has to see a community nurse

“I think it was either a dirty spider or mosquito that brought this pain and distress upon me – but I will never know.
“The main thing is that I’m alive and I still have my left leg and foot – but I know I still have a long way to go until I’m out of the woods.”
Despite the ordeal Faye has endured, she still hopes to go on holiday once she is fully recovered.

In more real life news, a student’s lip was bitten off in a horrific attack by her boyfriend.

An a woman bitten by a false widow spider has a oozing hole in her armpit.


Source link
Read also:
The Sun › 3 weeks ago
A YOUNG mum lost her arm to a flesh-eating bug after dismissing the warning signs. Keirra Eames thought she’d dislocated her right arm in her sleep after waking up in agony one day. It was only when the 26-year-old developed flu-like symptoms...
The Sun › Lifestyle › 1 week ago
A WOMAN suffered life-threatening injuries after a cat scratch left her battling a flesh-eating bug and organ failure. Shirley Hair’s arm puffed up and her skin turned black – indicating a potentially fatal infection –days after being scratched...
Business Insider › 2 weeks ago
Mosquitos and ticks aren't just annoying bloodsuckers, they're also dangerous because of the diseases they carry. To avoid getting bitten, you need a great bug spray or bug repellent. OFF! Deep Woods Bug Spray is the most effective at repelling insects...
The Sun › 1 month ago
A MUM has told of her C-section horror after she was nearly killed by a flesh eating infection that smelled “like dead bodies”. Stricken Claire Gurney, 37, says an excruciating “black mass” enveloped her stomach just two days after she gave...
Mirror Online › 3 weeks ago
WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT Medics in Benidorm, Spain, thought she was just worse for wear but the painful truth nearly cost Faye Wilkes a leg
Business Insider › Lifestyle › 1 month ago
A woman in Tennessee nearly lost her arm after contracting a flesh-eating bacteria at a nail salon. It started as a small cut, but quickly escalated into swelling in her whole arm and flu-like symptoms. Necrotizing fasciitis is a disease caused by a...
The Independent › 1 month ago
Great-grandmother Susan Buttery spent three weeks in a coma after contracting lethal sepsis and fleash eating disease
Fox News › 1 month ago
A Tennessee woman claims she almost lost one of her arms after contracting a flesh-eating bacteria at her local nail salon, according to a report.
The Sun › Lifestyle › 1 week ago
A MAN born with fourteen toes lived with the deformity for decades – because his parents thought it was good luck. The 21-year-old patient, named only as “Ajun”, said the four extra toes on his left foot had caused him so much stigma he stopped...
The Sun › 1 month ago
A BRIT fisherman died after being bitten by a sea snake while working on an Australian trawler, an inquest was told. Harry Evans, 23, was inspecting a fishing net when he was bitten by the 3ft creature. He initially suffered no ill-effects before...
Sign In

Sign in to follow sources and tags you love, and get personalized stories.

Continue with Google
OR