Mum suffers horrific burns and 100 blisters after hot water bottle ‘exploded’ in her leggings

The Sun 2 months ago

A MUM watched in agony as her skin burned off – after her hot water she had tucked into her leggings exploded.

Sophie Mason, 29, suffered excruciating injuries that were so deep she says her “veins collapsed”.

Sophie was left in agony when her hot water bottle split open and boiling water poured out over her body

And she has since had to undergo two skin grafts to treat the damaged areas of her legs and stomach.

Sophie, who runs a guinea pig sanctuary, is now sharing her story to urge people to not fill hot water bottles up straight from the kettle, especially when preparing them for children.

The mum-of-four suffered the freak accident after recording a video with her husband Mark, 44, for the sanctuary she runs in Waddington, Lincolnshire, last Monday.

Sophie, who has two sons aged nine and seven and is a step-mother to Mark’s sons aged 16 and 12, said: “We were preparing our Halloween video outside.

Sophie suffered severe burns to her legs and stomach
Sophie is urging people to not fill hot water bottles up straight from the kettle

“It was cold and wet so we came inside and I said ‘can you fill up my hot water bottle for me?’.

“Mark filled up the hot water bottle, and I tucked it down the front of my leggings, which I usually do to keep it secure.”

But to Sophie’s horror the bottle burst open and she was left screaming in pain as she was doused in boiling hot water.

I am trying to warn people not to fill them straight from the kettle so they don’t make the same mistake. It’s just not worth it

Sophie Mason

“The bottle split down the seam. It went on my stomach and my leg. It was like an instant feeling of feeling sick”, she said.

“I tried very hard to get my clothes off but I had burned my hand.

“I screamed for my husband in the kitchen. He ripped off my clothes. He started throwing cold tea towels at me to cool me down.

“A couple of minutes later he phoned the ambulance.”

Sophie had been about to curl up for the evening with her bottle when the horrific accident took place

The ambulance arrived half an hour later at 10.30pm – which Sophie says felt like an eternity.

She added: “It feels like a long time when you feel like you are on fire.

“I was complaining about the pain in my hand as opposed to my stomach and leg, even though you could see the skin blistering and peeling.

“The reason for this was the burn on my hand was superficial so the nerves were exposed.

“The paramedics knew my hand was not a massive problem. They wrapped me up in special bandages to cool down my skin.

“They couldn’t get morphine into me straight away because I had gone into shock and my veins had collapsed.

“After the second attempt they managed to get morphine into me and rushed me into hospital.

“I arrived at Lincoln County Hospital just before 11pm and I was home by 4am.”

Despite being discharged the following morning at 4am, Sophie needed to return to hospital later on Friday for skin grafts on her stomach and leg.

Sophie says she had 100 blisters on her stomach and legs

She said: “I have been backwards and forwards in and out of hospital in Nottingham since then.

“There must have been 100 blisters on my stomach and legs. They were popping them open and covering me up to protect me.

“They told me I needed two skin grafts on my stomach and leg.

“I was surprised by how bad it was. My stomach and leg didn’t hurt but it was because the water had burned off the nerve endings.

“The operation needed doing. It has been more painful than I expected. It has not helped my mobility at all.”

Sophie had two skin grafts on her stomach and leg

Sophie is now urging people to be more vigilant when it comes to using hot water bottles, especially now in the chilly weather.

She said: “It was just a normal hot water bottle. It wasn’t old, I wasn’t over-full. It was just an unfortunate accident, and it was my own ignorance.

“I am trying to warn people not to fill them straight from the kettle so they don’t make the same mistake. It’s just not worth it.”


Source link
Read also:
Forbes › 1 week ago
As a red carpet host, Wearing heels for hours left Dana Ward with painful blisters, cuts and burns no matter how hard she tried to prevent them. With her line Barefoot Science, she had developed formulas to help prevent those blisters, burns and tears.
Forbes › 1 week ago
As a red carpet host, Wearing heels for hours left Dana Ward with painful blisters, cuts and burns no matter how hard she tried to prevent them. With her line Barefoot Scientist, she had developed formulas to help prevent those blisters, burns and...
The Sun › 2 months ago
A MUM was left with horrific burns all over her body when a barbecue exploded in a fireball as she was cooking. Rebecca Rogers, 36, from Wilmington, North Carolina, was at a pal’s flat for a barbecue in August when the nightmare began. The mum-of-two...
The Sun › 1 month ago
A TODDLER has been left scarred for life after knocking scalding hot coffee on himself. Arthur Jakes has had three skin grafts on his arms and chest after suffering horrific burns. Mum Laura Jakes said she will never forget hearing her son’s scream...
Mirror Online › 2 months ago
WARNING: DISTRESSING IMAGES Sophie Mason, 29, said she had more than 100 agonising blisters after the accident in Waddington, near Lincoln
Business Insider › 2 weeks ago
Your hand isn't meant to fit the inside of your reusable water bottle. This makes it nearly impossible to properly clean the interior and get rid of bacteria and gunk. The $95 Larq water bottle is a state-of-the-art reusable stainless steel bottle that...
The Sun › 2 months ago
AS THE long nights creep in, many of us will be reaching for our old reliable hot water bottle. But get ready because the YuYu Bottle is about to blow your old one out of the water as the extra-long version can be wrapped around your entire body. Not...
Daily Mail Online › 2 months ago
WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT: Sophie Mason, 29, from Waddington near Lincoln, said her 'veins collapsed' and she went into shock after the scalding water splashed on her legs and stomach.
The Sun › Finance › 1 week ago
IF you’re struggling to stay warm as temperatures drop this winter, then you should check out Home Bargains’ hot water bottle for your neck and shoulders. The nifty hot water bottles are up for grabs at the bargain shop for £5.99, compared to £7...
The Sun › 2 weeks ago
A PET owner has died after catching a rare infection from his dog’s saliva which left him with gangrene and horrific blisters. The 63-year-old, who has not been named, was completely healthy before being struck down with the devastating disease...
Sign In

Sign in to follow sources and tags you love, and get personalized stories.

Continue with Google
OR