Nevada high court to charge for Las Vegas shooting records

Washington Times 1 day ago

LAS VEGAS (AP) - The Las Vegas Police Department asked for hundreds of thousands of dollars from media outlets for electronic records related to the fatal Route 91 Harvest festival shooting in 2017, authorities said.

A lawyer for the Review-Journal and other news organizations asked the Nevada Supreme Court on Tuesday to throw out the request because of “extraordinary use” fees, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported Tuesday.

The police department produced emailed records to multiple outlets rather than responding to individual public records requests, media lawyer Maggie McLetchie said Tuesday.

It is a “self-created burden,” McLetchie said in court papers.

Responding to requests for records such as evidence logs, interview reports and body camera footage would be costly and time consuming, Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo said early last year.


The Police Department offered to allow multiple outlets to examine the footage at police headquarters but about 9,000 hours were spent accumulating blurred and muted body camera footage costing them about $1 million, police lawyer Jackie Nichols said Tuesday.

The redaction of body camera footage “required a special system” from officers who would have been assigned to other duties, Nichols said. “That’s where a majority of this work comes in … that is the purpose of seeking the extraordinary cost.”

The Review-Journal doesn’t get enough cooperation on public records requests, general counsel Benjamin Lipman said.

“We wish more government entities were willing to work with us to ensure public access to public records rather than dragging cases endlessly through the courts,” Lipman said. “But, we are always gratified by the attention paid by our Supreme Court justices when these issues come before them, and we look forward to the court’s decision.”


Source link
Read also:
Concord Monitor › Sports › 0 month ago
LAS VEGAS – A Las Vegas Strip casino is suing San Jose Sharks forward Evander Kane, alleging he failed to repay a $500,000 gambling debt racked up during a playoff series in Las Vegas last April.Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas lawyer Lawrence Semenza...
ABC News › Finance › 2 months ago
A Las Vegas newspaper battle is heating up, after the Las Vegas Sun filed a new federal lawsuit against the Las Vegas Review-Journal and its owner, the family of casino mogul Sheldon Adelson
New York Post › 3 weeks ago
LAS VEGAS — O.J. Simpson is suing a Las Vegas hotel-casino that banned him in November 2017, alleging that unnamed employees defamed him by telling a celebrity news site he had been drunk, disruptive and unruly. Simpson, on parole in Nevada for a...
Fox News › 1 month ago
Police in Nevada have arrested two suspects after the body of a woman who had been missing for months was discovered in a “concrete and wooden structure” in the desert north of Las Vegas, investigators said Monday.
CNN › 2 months ago
Seven people were injured, three seriously, when a hot air balloon crashed near Goodsprings, Nevada, about 40 miles southwest of Las Vegas, a hospital official said Thursday.
Fox News › 1 month ago
The keen eye of a police officer in Nevada helped rescue a wayward version of Old Glory from the shoulder of a busy Las Vegas-area highway.
New York Post › Sports › 1 month ago
San Jose Sharks forward Evander Kane might need to drop the gloves with a Las Vegas casino that is suing the feisty Canadian for allegedly not paying back $500,000 in gambling markers. The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas filed the lawsuit Monday, and court...
The Boston Globe › 1 month ago
The Las Vegas wedding industry is not the business it used to be. Although Las Vegas wedding tourism generated an estimated $2.5 billion in economic activity last year, according to Lynn Goya, the clerk of Clark County, Nevada, that number is at least...
USA Today › 2 weeks ago
A woman injured at the 2017 Las Vegas shooting has died. She is the 59th victim of the country's deadliest mass shooting.
Concord Monitor › Sports › 1 month ago
LAS VEGAS – Cristiano Ronaldo’s lawyers have filed court documents asking a U.S. judge in Las Vegas to either dismiss a Nevada woman’s lawsuit alleging the soccer star raped her in 2009, or to order closed-door settlement talks.Attorneys...
Sign In

Sign in to follow sources and tags you love, and get personalized stories.

Continue with Google
OR