Holocaust survivor HUGS Nazi concentration camp guard, 93, during his trial as accessory to murder

Daily Mail Online 3 weeks ago

A Holocaust survivor interrupted the trial of a former guard at a Nazi concentration camp to hug the defendant and 'forgive him'.

Bruno Dey, a 93-year-old ex-guard at the Stutthof camp, is charged with being an accessory to the murders of 5,230 people.

Peter Loth, who was a child when he was held at the death camp in modern day Gdansk, Poland, made the gesture to the former SS-watchman during a hearing in Hamburg last week.

The 76-year-old walked up to Dey and said, 'watch out everyone, I'm going to forgive him', before embracing the defendant.

Both men were brought to tears, Loth later said, according to Israeli newspaper Arutz Sheva.   

Loth, who now lives in Florida, is a co-plaintiff in the case that began last month.

Joint plaintiff Peter Loth, who now lives in the US, arriving at the courtroom for a hearing in the trial of the 93-year-old former SS-watchman at the Stutthof concentration camp last Tuesday
Joint plaintiff Peter Loth, who now lives in the US, arriving at the courtroom for a hearing in the trial of the 93-year-old former SS-watchman at the Stutthof concentration camp last Tuesday
Former SS guard Bruno Dey was hugged by a 76-year-old plaintiff who was a child in the Stutthof Nazi concentration camp during World War II. He is pictured (above) during an earlier hearing
Former SS guard Bruno Dey was hugged by a 76-year-old plaintiff who was a child in the Stutthof Nazi concentration camp during World War II. He is pictured (above) during an earlier hearing 

Despite his age, Dey is being tried in youth court because he was 17 when he started serving at Stutthof and so is being treated as a juvenile under German law.

He faces a possible six months to 10 years in prison if convicted and there are no consecutive sentences in the German legal system.

Dey served as an SS Private at the camp towards the end of the Second World War, between August 1944 and April 1945.

The SS guard told the court at an earlier hearing he saw prisoners being led into the gas chamber, followed by screaming and banging sounds behind the locked door. 

But despite what he saw, Dey claimed he 'didn't know that they were being gassed' because they did not resist.

When he was asked by the presiding judge last month what exactly he saw from his sentry's watchtower, Dey replied: 'That people were led in, into the gas chamber, that the door was locked.' 

The 93-year-old former SS-watchman at the Stutthof concentration camp hiding his face next before a hearing in his trial last week. Peter Loth (right) can be seen looking in his direction
The 93-year-old former SS-watchman at the Stutthof concentration camp hiding his face next before a hearing in his trial last week. Peter Loth (right) can be seen looking in his direction 
Former SS guard Bruno Dey (right) covering his face as he is brought in to court a wheelchair for a session of his trial in Hamburg
Former SS guard Bruno Dey (right) covering his face as he is brought in to court a wheelchair for a session of his trial in Hamburg

Though there is no evidence that Dey was involved in a specific killing at the camp near Danzig, today the Polish city of Gdansk, prosecutors argue that as a guard he helped the camp function. 

He previously apologised to the victims, saying he had been posted there unwillingly after being deemed unfit for combat duty due to a heart ailment. 

Under questioning from Loth, which was allowed by the court, Dey repeated that he did not volunteer to be sent to Stutthof. 

According to an interpreter, Loth asked Dey’s forgiveness for having been angry and filled with hate, Arutz Sheva reports.  

Dey (second left covering his face with a yellow folder) is charged with being an accessory to the murder of 5,230 people
Dey (second left covering his face with a yellow folder) is charged with being an accessory to the murder of 5,230 people

Stutthof was the first Nazi concentration camp set up outside German borders in World War II, and was in operation from September 1939, and was the last camp liberated by the Aliies in May 1945.  

Between 63,000 and 65,000 prisoners at Stutthof concentration camp and its subcamps died as a result of murder, extreme labour conditions and lack of medical help. 

In 2015, a survivor of Auschwitz publicly forgave a former guard during his trial and urged him to denounce neo-Nazi activity.

Eva Kor, a Romanian-born US citizen who died in July at 85, made the pleas to Oskar Groening, who was known as 'The Bookkeeper of Auschwitz'.l

He was sentenced to four years in jail but died last year aged 96 before he was to due to begin his sentence. 


Source link
Read also:
New York Post › 1 month ago
A 93-year-old former SS guard in a Nazi Germany concentration camp went on trial Thursday on 5,230 counts of accessory to murder in a Hamburg court – in what could be one of the last Holocaust-related criminal cases, according to reports. Bruno Dey...
Fox News › 1 month ago
A 93-year-old former SS private who as a teenager stood guard in a watchtower in a Nazi Germany concentration camp began trial Thursday in Hamburg state court where he’s accused of being an accessory to 5,230 murders in the finals months of World War...
New York Daily News › Incident › 1 month ago
A 93-year-old former Nazi guard begins trial Thursday for charges on being an accessory to more than 5,200 murders from August 1944 to April 1945, when he worked as a guard for the SS at a concentration camp in what is now Poland.
The Sun › 1 month ago
A FORMER Nazi concentration camp guard has revealed how he heard victims bang on the gas chamber doors begging to be let out. SS Private Bruno Dey testified at his trial on Friday in Hamburg as he faces 5,239 counts of accessory to murder for killings...
Fox News › 1 month ago
A former Nazi concentration camp guard accused of being an accessory to 5,230 murders testified Monday at his trial that he regrets serving in the role — and that “the images of misery and horror" have continued to haunt him.
Newsweek › Incident › 1 month ago
Bruno Dey is the latest in a string of former Nazis who are only now going to trial for the crimes they committed during the Holocaust. He will be tried on 5,230 counts of accessory to murder.
CNN › 1 month ago
A 93-year-old former guard at a Nazi concentration camp will go on trial in Germany on Thursday on the charge of being an accessory to thousands of murders.
One America News Network › 1 month ago
BERLIN (Reuters) - A 93-year-old former concentration camp guard will go on trial in Hamburg on Thursday accused of being an accessory to the murder of 5,230 people, in what could be one of the last
Evening Standard › 1 month ago
A former Nazi concentration camp guard will go on trial in the German city of Hamburg this week.
Sputnik International › 1 month ago
A 93-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard identified as Bruno Dey went on trial in Germany Thursday for complicity in the murder of 5,230 people between August 1944 and April 1945 at the Stutthof camp located in what is now Poland
Sign In

Sign in to follow sources and tags you love, and get personalized stories.

Continue with Google
OR