Saudi Arabia consults allies on oil attack, awaits result of investigation: official

Reuters 1 month ago

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia is in consultation “with friends and allies about the next steps to take” after a Sept. 14 attack on its oil facilities, but is waiting for the findings of an investigation, Saudi Arabia’s Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Adel al-Jubeir told reporters on Wednesday.

The United States, European powers and Saudi Arabia have blamed the attack on Iran, instead of the Yemeni Iran-aligned Houthi group that claimed responsibility. Iran distanced itself from the attacks, but said it was ready for “full-fledged” war.

“This cannot go unanswered, there has to be consequences for Iran for what they did,” Jubeir told a United Against Nuclear Iran conference.

The attack on the heartland of Saudi Arabia’s oil industry damaged the world’s biggest petroleum-processing facility and knocked out more than 5% of global oil supply.

“The United Nations sent people to be part of the investigation, other countries have sent experts to be part of the investigation,” Jubeir told reporters earlier on Wednesday on the sidelines of the annual gathering of world leaders at the United Nations.

“When the team that’s investigating has concluded its investigations we will make the announcements publicly,” he said.

U.N. experts monitoring Security Council sanctions on Iran and Yemen traveled to Saudi Arabia days after the attack. But their reports to the U.N. Security Council are not due until December and January respectively.

U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres reports twice a year to the Security Council on the implementation of an arms embargo on Iran and other restrictions that remained in place after Tehran agreed a nuclear deal with world powers in 2015.

A separate independent panel also reports twice a year to the U.N. Security Council on the implementation of sanctions related to the conflict in Yemen that were imposed in 2014 and 2015.

France also sent seven military experts to investigate this weekend’s attacks on Saudi oil facilities, including specialists in explosives, missile trajectory and ground-to-air defense systems, a defense ministry spokeswoman has said.


Source link
Read also:
Business Insider › Politics › 2 months ago
Saudi Arabia's oil production was slashed in half on Saturday during an attack on two of its main oil facilities. The attack wiped about 5% of the world's daily production of crude oil, equal to about 5 million barrels. Yemen's Houthi rebel group...
Business Insider › Politics › 1 month ago
The United States will send additional troops to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates to beef up security, following last weekend's attack on oil fields in Saudi Arabia. In a Friday evening press conference, Acting Defense Secretary Mark Esper and...
Reuters › 2 months ago
The United States was discussing with Saudi Arabia and other Gulf allies possible responses to an attack on Saudi oil facilities they blame on Iran and which U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo described as an act of war on the kingdom.
Reuters › 1 month ago
Saudi Arabia will seek to make a case at a global gathering in New York this week for concerted action to punish and deter arch-foe Iran after strikes on Saudi oil plants rattled global markets and exposed the kingdom's vulnerability to attack.
Business Insider › Politics › 2 months ago
The attack on two major Saudi oil facilities that knocked out half of the country's oil production appears to have come from Iran instead of the Yemeni Houthi group that claimed it, a senior US official Reuters. The unnamed official said there were 19...
The Sun › 1 month ago
THE US is sending thousands more troops to protect Saudi Arabia against the threat of Iran after last month’s attack on major oil plants. Donald Trump approved the deployment of more than 3,000 additional troops in response to the attack on Saudi oil...
Reuters › 2 months ago
Abu Dhabi's crown prince called Saudi Arabia's crown prince on Sunday to condemn an attack on Saudi oil facilities a day earlier that has threatened global oil supplies, Saudi state news agency SPA said.
Business Insider › 1 month ago
The US and Saudi Arabia are searching for a "smoking gun" among the wreckage of weapons that will definitively link Iran to the weapons used in an attack last Saturday on Saudi oil facilities, The Wall Street Journal reported Sunday. Inspectors and...
Reuters › 2 months ago
The attack on Saudi Arabia's oil facilities on Saturday that has threatened global oil supplies came from the direction of Iran, and cruise missiles may have been used, according to a senior U.S. official.
Reuters › 2 months ago
The United States is considering increasing its intelligence sharing with Saudi Arabia after Saturday's attack on Saudi oil facilities that halved the kingdom's production and jolted world oil markets, U.S. officials told Reuters.
Sign In

Sign in to follow sources and tags you love, and get personalized stories.

Continue with Google
OR