Placido Domingo leaves Macbeth production at New York’s Met as venue pressured to fire him before sexual harassment probe over

RT 1 month ago

Domingo announced the decision on Tuesday, just one day before the opening of ‘Macbeth’ at the Metropolitan Opera, in which the renowned tenor-turned-baritone was slated to star in the title role.

While an official probe by the American Guild of Musical Artists has been launched into Domingo’s alleged sexual misconduct, and insider complaints have swirled about his presence at the Met, the vocalist said the choice to pull out was his alone, and that he did not want to embroil his co-stars in controversy.

“I made my debut at the Metropolitan Opera at the age of 27 and have sung at this magnificent theater for 51 consecutive, glorious years,” Domingo said in a statement.

While the singer said he “strongly” disputes the claims of sexual harassment made about him in August, and is alarmed by a “climate in which people are condemned without due process,” he said that “upon reflection I believe that my appearance in this production of ‘Macbeth’ would distract from the hard work of my colleagues both onstage and behind the scenes.”

The Met confirmed that Domingo would not return for future performances, according to the Associated Press.

Among a group of critics demanding Domingo be excluded from the production was Democratic State Senator Brad Hoylman, who stated outright in a Facebook post earlier on Tuesday that “Placido Domingo should be removed from the show – and if he isn't, the General Manager of the Met should be removed too.”

Following Domingo’s announcement that he would no longer perform, the state senator shared a link to the story, along with the caption “Update: we won.”

Major newspapers such as the Washington Post also published stories quoting the complaints of several Met employees, some of whom slammed the company for inconsistency after its earlier firing of conductor James Levine, who also faced allegations of sexual misconduct.

In mid August, the Associated Press published a story citing nine women, all but one remaining anonymous, accusing Domingo of inappropriate touching and other unwanted advances. The vocalist responded arguing that the report was “inaccurate,” and insisted the incidents in question – some of which date back to the 1980s – were consensual.

Macbeth would have been Domingo’s first US performance since the allegations surfaced last month. Some American institutions, such as the San Francisco Opera and the Philadelphia Orchestra, have already cancelled the singer’s upcoming performances over the claims of misconduct. To date, no European venues have followed suit.


Source link
Read also:
The Guardian › Entertainment › 1 month ago
Opera singer drops role in Macbeth and agrees no longer to perform with New York companyThe Metropolitan Opera announced on Tuesday that Plácido Domingo had agreed to withdraw from his slate of scheduled performances at the opera house following...
Fox News › Entertainment › 1 month ago
When opera superstar Placido Domingo appeared in Europe last month after being accused of sexual harassment by multiple women, his performances were greeted with rapturous ovations. This week, the spotlight moves to the U.S., where Domingo faces two...
New York Post › 1 month ago
Opera legend Placido Domingo has quit as general director of the LA Opera, as the fallout from the sexual harassment controversy continues to dog the Grammy-winning tenor, according to reports. Domingo, who has been with the Los Angeles company since...
ABC News › 1 month ago
Opera icon Placido Domingo exited his performances at the Metropolitan Opera, indicating he may not return to that stage, following sexual harassment allegations.
USA Today › Entertainment › 1 month ago
Placido Domingo, the opera superstar facing investigations over multiple accusations of sexual harassment, is set to perform in New York on Wednesday.
New York Daily News › Entertainment › 2 days ago
Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli claims it is "absurd" for opera houses to cancel performances by embattled legend Placido Domingo over multiple allegations of sexual harassment and misconduct.
HuffPost › 1 month ago
Multiple women have accused famed opera singer Placido Domingo of sexual harassment.
ABC News › 1 month ago
Placido Domingo announced he was resigning from LA Opera amid a sexual harassment investigation the company was running.
BBC News › Entertainment › 1 month ago
The singer has pulled out of a production of Verdi's Macbeth the day before its opening night.
The New York Times › Entertainment › 1 month ago
The star singer, accused by multiple women of sexual misconduct, dropped out of Verdi’s “Macbeth” and indicated he would not return to the Met.
Sign In

Sign in to follow sources and tags you love, and get personalized stories.

Continue with Google
OR