Plácido Domingo Withdraws From Metropolitan Opera Amid Sexual Harassment Allegations

HuffPost 1 month ago

Plácido Domingo stepped down from performing at the Metropolitan Opera on Tuesday amid mounting pressure for the New York opera house to respond to allegations of sexual harassment against the legendary singer.

Domingo and the Met each announced the split the day before opening night of Verdi’s “Macbeth,” in which Domingo was slated to star. 

“I made my debut at the Metropolitan Opera at the age of 27 and have sung at this magnificent theater for 51 consecutive, glorious years,” Domingo said in a statement, according to The New York Times.

He continued: “While I strongly dispute recent allegations made about me, and I am concerned about a climate in which people are condemned without due process, upon reflection I believe that my appearance in this production of ‘Macbeth’ would distract from the hard work of my colleagues both onstage and behind the scenes. As a result, I have asked to withdraw and I thank the leadership of the Met for graciously granting my request.”

Domingo said he would consider the last dress rehearsal for “Macbeth” as his final performance on the Met stage.

“The Metropolitan Opera confirms that Plácido Domingo has agreed to withdraw from all future performances at the Met, effective immediately,” the opera company said in its own statement on Tuesday. “The Met and Mr. Domingo are in agreement that he needed to step down.”

Domingo has faced scrutiny since August when several women came forward with allegations of sexual misconduct against him. Eight singers and one dancer told The Associated Press that the opera star had a history of pressuring women into sexual relationships in exchange for jobs and on occasion punished women professionally when they refused his advances. Three accusers said Domingo forcibly kissed them, and one woman said the singer stuck his hand down her skirt. 


Source link
Read also:
Fox News › Entertainment › 1 month ago
The Metropolitan Opera announced Tuesday that Plácido Domingo had agreed to withdraw from his slate of scheduled performances at the opera house following allegations of sexual harassment made by multiple women in two Associated Press stories. The...
ABC News › 1 month ago
Opera icon Placido Domingo exited his performances at the Metropolitan Opera, indicating he may not return to that stage, following sexual harassment allegations.
The Guardian › Entertainment › 1 month ago
Opera singer drops role in Macbeth and agrees no longer to perform with New York companyThe Metropolitan Opera announced on Tuesday that Plácido Domingo had agreed to withdraw from his slate of scheduled performances at the opera house following...
New York Post › 1 month ago
Opera legend Placido Domingo has quit as general director of the LA Opera, as the fallout from the sexual harassment controversy continues to dog the Grammy-winning tenor, according to reports. Domingo, who has been with the Los Angeles company since...
Fox News › Entertainment › 1 month ago
When opera superstar Placido Domingo appeared in Europe last month after being accused of sexual harassment by multiple women, his performances were greeted with rapturous ovations. This week, the spotlight moves to the U.S., where Domingo faces two...
New York Daily News › Entertainment › 2 days ago
Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli claims it is "absurd" for opera houses to cancel performances by embattled legend Placido Domingo over multiple allegations of sexual harassment and misconduct.
ABC News › 1 month ago
Placido Domingo announced he was resigning from LA Opera amid a sexual harassment investigation the company was running.
USA Today › Entertainment › 1 month ago
Placido Domingo, the legendary opera singer under sexual misconduct investigation, will not perform at the Metropolitan Opera this week. What's next?
USA Today › Entertainment › 1 month ago
Placido Domingo has resigned as general director of the Los Angeles Opera following multiple allegations of sexual harassment.
ABC News › Entertainment › 1 month ago
Plácido Domingo has agreed to withdraw from all future performances at the Metropolitan Opera following accusations of sexual harassment made by women in a pair of reports by The Associated Press
Sign In

Sign in to follow sources and tags you love, and get personalized stories.

Continue with Google
OR