Placido Domingo exits Met Opera performances after sexual harassment allegations

ABC News 1 month ago

Opera icon Placido Domingo announced to The New York Times that he is dropping out of his performances at the Metropolitan Opera in New York following a series of allegations of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior.

"I made my debut at the Metropolitan Opera at the age of 27 and have sung at this magnificent theater for 51 consecutive, glorious years," Domingo said in a statement to the Times. "While I strongly dispute recent allegations made about me, and I am concerned about a climate in which people are condemned without due process, upon reflection I believe that my appearance in this production of 'Macbeth' would distract from the hard work of my colleagues both onstage and behind the scenes. As a result, I have asked to withdraw and I thank the leadership of the Met for graciously granting my request."

Domingo was set to sing the titular role in Verdi's "Macbeth" for three performances at the Met starting Wednesday night. He had an additional engagement with the Met this season to perform a minor role in Puccini's "Madama Butterfly."

He went on to say in his Tuesday statement that he considers the dress rehearsal of "Macbeth" to be "my last performance on the Met stage."

In early August, the Associated Press published a report detailing nearly a dozen women's accusations of sexual harassment, inappropriate behavior and retaliation. Domingo told the AP in a statement that the allegations were "deeply troubling, and as presented, inaccurate," adding that he "believed that all of my interactions and relationships were always welcomed and consensual."

Three weeks later, the AP published a new round of reports with additional accusations, which a spokesperson for Domingo called an "ongoing campaign by the AP to denigrate Placido Domingo" that was "not only inaccurate but unethical."

PHOTO: Placido Domingo, opera singer is seen during a press conference regarding the performance State Opera for All.
Placido Domingo, opera singer is seen during a press conference regarding the performance "State Opera for All."

LA Opera, where Domingo serves as general director, announced they were launching an independent investigation on him following the first AP report. The American Guild of Musical Artists (AGMA) also announced they were launching their own wide-ranging independent investigation.

The Met had maintained that it would await the results of LA Opera's investigation before acting to change his appearances this season.

The company told The New York Times Tuesday, "The Metropolitan Opera confirms that Plácido Domingo has agreed to withdraw from all future performances at the Met, effective immediately. The Met and Mr. Domingo are in agreement that he needed to step down."

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.


Source link
Read also:
The Guardian › Entertainment › 1 month ago
Opera singer drops role in Macbeth and agrees no longer to perform with New York companyThe Metropolitan Opera announced on Tuesday that Plácido Domingo had agreed to withdraw from his slate of scheduled performances at the opera house following...
Fox News › Entertainment › 1 month ago
When opera superstar Placido Domingo appeared in Europe last month after being accused of sexual harassment by multiple women, his performances were greeted with rapturous ovations. This week, the spotlight moves to the U.S., where Domingo faces two...
New York Daily News › Entertainment › 1 week ago
Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli claims it is "absurd" for opera houses to cancel performances by embattled legend Placido Domingo over multiple allegations of sexual harassment and misconduct.
New York Post › 1 month ago
Opera legend Placido Domingo has quit as general director of the LA Opera, as the fallout from the sexual harassment controversy continues to dog the Grammy-winning tenor, according to reports. Domingo, who has been with the Los Angeles company since...
Fox News › Entertainment › 1 month ago
The Metropolitan Opera announced Tuesday that Plácido Domingo had agreed to withdraw from his slate of scheduled performances at the opera house following allegations of sexual harassment made by multiple women in two Associated Press stories. The...
ABC News › 1 month ago
Placido Domingo announced he was resigning from LA Opera amid a sexual harassment investigation the company was running.
USA Today › Entertainment › 1 month ago
Placido Domingo has resigned as general director of the Los Angeles Opera following multiple allegations of sexual harassment.
The New York Times › 1 month ago
Opera star Placido Domingo has resigned as general director of the Los Angeles Opera following multiple allegations of sexual harassment reported by The Associated Press.
ABC News › Entertainment › 1 month ago
Opera star Placido Domingo resigns as general director of the Los Angeles Opera following multiple allegations of sexual harassment
ABC News › 1 month ago
AGMA is hosting a harassment training forum in Los Angeles in the wake of allegations against opera star Placido Domingo, who serves as general director of the LA Opera.
Sign In

Sign in to follow sources and tags you love, and get personalized stories.

Continue with Google
OR