Saudi to consider 'all options' in response to attack on oil facilities: official

Reuters 1 month ago

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia believes Iran conducted the recent attacks on its oil facilities and will consider a military response once its investigation is complete, the kingdom’s minister of state for foreign affairs said on Tuesday.

“We want to mobilize international support, and we want to look at all options - diplomatic options, economic options and military options - and then make the decision,” Adel al-Jubeir said at a conference on the sidelines of the U.N. General Assembly.

“We want to avoid war. But at the same time we have to signal to the Iranians that ‘your behavior cannot continue’,” he added.

Jubeir said the United Nations was helping it identify the launch site for the Sept. 14 attacks, which temporarily knocked out over 5 percent of global oil production and sent petroleum prices spiking higher.

He said he expected the investigation to be completed “fairly soon” but suggested it would be weeks and not days.

Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi rebels claimed responsibility for the attacks on Saudi’s Abqaiq and Khurais facilities, but both Riyadh and Washington have laid the blame on Iran.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said there was no evidence the attack came from Yemen, where a Saudi-led coalition has been battling the Houthis for over four years in a conflict widely seen as a proxy war between Saudi Arabia and Iran.

Tehran has denied involvement.

U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday called on other nations to join the United States to pressure Iran after the attacks, but said there is a path to peace. (Read story here)

He has also promised to keep trying to squeeze Iran’s economy with sanctions until Tehran agrees to give up what Washington says is a pursuit of nuclear weapons.


Source link
Read also:
Business Insider › Politics › 1 month ago
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson said Iran was responsible for the September 14 attack on a Saudi oil facility and said his government would consider joining a US-led military effort. The attack on the oil facilities wiped out half out about 5% of the...
The Guardian › 1 month ago
Saudi minister says military response to attack on oil facilities still being considered Saudi Arabia has said that US patience with Iran is not inexhaustible and warned military options are still being considered following the attack on the Aramco oil...
Business Insider › Politics › 2 months ago
A new Insider poll shows that barely one in five Americans view Saudi Arabia as an US ally, even as the Trump administration threatened a military response against Iran for its alleged aerial strikes on Saudi oil facilities. Only 22% of respondents...
Fox News › 1 month ago
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Sunday blamed Iran for the recent attacks on oil facilities in Saudi Arabia and said that the U.K. would consider taking part in U.S.-led military actions to support Saudi defenses.
Business Insider › Politics › 2 months ago
President Donald Trump said in a tweet on Sunday that America was "locked and loaded" in response to an attack on Saudi Arabia's oil facilities. The attacks shut down production on roughly 5% of the world's daily production of crude oil, equal to about...
Business Insider › Politics › 2 months ago
The attack on two major Saudi oil facilities that knocked out half of the country's oil production appears to have come from Iran instead of the Yemeni Houthi group that claimed it, a senior US official Reuters. The unnamed official said there were 19...
Reuters › 2 months ago
Abu Dhabi's crown prince called Saudi Arabia's crown prince on Sunday to condemn an attack on Saudi oil facilities a day earlier that has threatened global oil supplies, Saudi state news agency SPA said.
CNN › Politics › 2 months ago
US defense officials were ordered to plan potential responses to the attack on Saudi Arabia's oil facilities in a Monday meeting with President Donald Trump, but the White House is waiting for the Kingdom's rulers to decide on a response before charting a
Reuters › 2 months ago
Britain condemned a drone attack on Saudi Arabian oil facilities on Saturday, and said that Yemen's Houthi rebel group should stop targeting Saudi civilian and commercial infrastructure.
RT › 2 months ago
The weekend attack on Saudi Aramco oil facilities was an “act of war” against Saudi Arabia for which Iran was responsible, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced upon his arrival in Jeddah for a working visit. Read Full Article at RT.com
Sign In

Sign in to follow sources and tags you love, and get personalized stories.

Continue with Google
OR