Black Friday 2019 sees the biggest retailers go head-to-head, but tracking all the deals can be a nightmare. To help you prepare for the big day (read: month, the first deals are live), I’m comparing the biggest retailers. My Walmart Vs Target guide is already out. Now it’s time for Best Buy and Target to face off.
The good news when comparing Best Buy and Target is both stores are creatures of habit and history teaches us almost everything we need to know. So the best place to start is a comparison of last year’s deals on the most popular products:
Where Best Buy Black Friday Beat Target Black Friday
- Samsung Galaxy Note 9, S9 or S9+ - $300 direct saving with qualified activation on Verizon, AT&T or Sprint. Target offered a $300 gift card.
- iPhone X - $150 direct savings with qualified activation. Target offered a $150 gift card.
- Premium TVs - Best Buy won in both quality and quantity. Top was a Toshiba 43-inch LED 2160p Smart 4K UHD TV for just $129.99 (saving $200)
- Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL - $200 direct saving with qualified activation on Verizon. Target offered a $200 gift card
- Xbox One X - Best Buy sold the Xbox One X 1TB Gold Rush Special Edition Battlefield V Bundle + 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray + Free Select Xbox One Controller for $429.99 (saving $70). Target had no Xbox One X deals.
Where Target Black Friday Beat Best Buy Black Friday
- Apple iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max - $250 gift card with qualified activation on AT&T, Sprint or Verizon. Best Buy offered $150 direct savings.
- Xbox One S - 1TB Minecraft Bundle + Free $20 Gift Card for $199.99 (save $200). Best buy matched this, minus the free gift card.
- Cheapest 55-inch TV - Target sold the Element 55-inch Smart 4K UHD TV for $199.99 (saving $180). Best Buy’s cheapest 55-inch TV was $250 though it was from a better brand (Sharp).
- REDcard 5% Discount - Target REDcard holders saved an additional 5% off Black Friday prices. Best Buy had no equivalent program.
- Shipping - Target offered free two-day shipping on all orders with no minimum. Best Buy offered free shipping, but not always two-day fast shipping (but this is changing).
What To Expect From Walmart Black Friday 2019 and Target Black Friday 2019
As you can see, both retailers are very evenly matched. So where will the differences be?
Apple iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max - Expect Target to again deliver larger savings, though it will be gift cards versus direct savings. Walmart has the best iPhone deals but stock will be low, so have a backup plan.
Samsung Galaxy S10, S10+, Note 10, Note 10+ - Target’s $300 gift card offer with qualified activation will appear again, though Best Buy will offer direct savings so go for that deal.
Microsoft Xbox One X Bundle - Target will have Xbox One X deals this year, but Best Buy should have a wider range of bundles. Look out for additional REDcard savings from Target to make the difference.
Sony PlayStation 4 Bundles - Target looks set to have the killer PS4 Pro deal thanks to additional gift cards, but expect prices of circa $274.99 ($125 savings) from both stores.Forbes
TVs - Best Buy typically has the better deals on premium brands, but Target should deliver the lowest prices if you are happy with a cheaper brand. Tip: Watch out for Walmart’s 65-inch deals this year.
Black Friday Opening Times - Both Best Buy and Target tend to close the night of Thanksgiving before reopening on Black Friday. Target opens at 6 am while Best Buy opens at 8 am. Depending on your sleeping preferences, one of these stores will be your favourite.
Free Shipping - Target won last year with free two-day shipping on all items, but Best Buy will close the gap for Black Friday 2019 having announced its newly upgraded shipping program.
Cyber Monday Ad Scans and Deals - Best Buy and Target are likely to release their Cyber Monday deals only after Black Friday. Expect Target to win out though, thanks to its additional savings for REDcard owners.
More Of My Black Friday Coverage On Forbes