‘I got soot in my lungs, needed emergency oxygen and could have died after leaving a scented candle burning as I slept’

The Sun 1 month ago

A WOMAN claims she nearly died after she left a candle burning while she slept and awoke to find soot in her lungs.

Farrah Lorrel Fraser, from the West Midlands, was enjoying a relaxing evening before work when danger struck.

Posting a warning on Facebook, she revealed she nearly died after inhaling smoke she says was caused by her DW vanilla pumpkin latte candle.

Farrah said: “Last night I lit my crackle wick candle and got in the bath for about an hour.

“I then put it on my drawers and went for a nap before my night shift (I know sounds stupid).”

Her alarm was set for 9pm, but potentially realising she was in danger, she was awoken by her pet.

Farrah was woken up by her pet after leaving the candle burning

She said: “Basically I woke up to badger scratching at my door and whimpering.

“I woke up and looked like I was in a new paranormal activity, I had black coming out of my nose and was coughing black phlegm.”

She shared a photo showing soot lines coming out of her nose after the ordeal last week.

Farrah needed emergency oxygen after inhaling soot

Initially she didn’t think the candle had done any damage, but after consulting with professionals she realised it could have been far worse.

Farrah said: “I thought nothing of it but talked to the fire service at work and upon asking for advice the commander deemed that I needed oxygen therapy, when the brigades turned up at work I showed them the pics and was given oxygen therapy starting on 10 litres for half an hour.

“They said if they turned up to a job I would’ve been blue lighted to the hospital because of the amount of soot and risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.”

The paramedics checked her out , and they delivered some shocking news.

She said: “They told me if I had slept through to my alarm at 21:00hrs (I woke up around 19:30hrs) … I probably wouldn’t be here now… dramatic I know!”

Farrah shared photos of herself in hospital receiving oxygen, as she warned others never to fall asleep with candles burning.

She wrote: “So be careful of the colder months sitting in a closed room with a big candle for a few hours… or if you’ve got young children/babies…

Farrah claims she took a nap with her scented candle still lit

“I’m thankful it was me and not a small child… it’s easily done.”

She thanked the firefighters and paramedics who treated her, adding Homesense had offered her a refund.

Fabulous Digital has reached out to Homesense for a comment.

While an expert has warned scented candles could ‘give off powerful fumes that could cause asthma and even lung cancer’.

Meanwhile this shopper raved about finding Yankee Candles for 10p in B&M.

We also revealed you can now get paid £4k to wear slippers all day – and you get to keep the pairs too.


Source link
Read also:
Mirror Online › 1 month ago
Farrah Lorrel Fraser was an hour and a half away from death after left the DW vanilla pumpkin latte candle burning - and it was only her pet that saved her
The Sun › 1 month ago
SCENTED CANDLES can instantly transform your space, making a visual impact, creating a glorious sensory experience through scent and even soothing frazzled nerves (just think how calming it is to light your favourite scented candles in the bathroom...
The Sun › 1 month ago
WITH Halloween out of the way, the countdown to Christmas is well and truly on, and what better way to do it with seasonal scent every morning. Lidl is launching a new Luxury Collection Advent Calendar with a miniature scented candle behind every door...
The Sun › 1 month ago
AS the weather gets colder and the darker evenings draw in, sometimes all you want to do is stay indoors and light a scented candle. But experts warn they could be doing more harm that good as they give off powerful fumes that could cause asthma, and...
Breitbart › Technology › 1 month ago
Former Boeing engineer John Barnett claims that issues with oxygen bottles on Boeing's 787 Dreamliner fleet could potentially leave passengers without oxygen in emergency situations.
Forbes › 2 months ago
Falling oxygen levels impact marine organisms worldwide – in fact, habitat loss associated with oxygen minimum zones are a real threat! Scientist Thompson Banez of the University of California San Diego wanted to further understand the oxygen limits...
The Sun › 1 month ago
A WOMAN has raved about finding a scented candle advent calendar that costs just £1. The shopper said she discovered the Air Wick offering in her local Poundland, and it looks ideal for all bargain hunters. Air Wick’s Christmas countdown contains 24...
Fox News › 1 month ago
The Chili's "starter pack" comes with a rib-scented candle, a doormat, a TV tray, a trivia game and a chip clip.
The Sun › 1 month ago
IT’S EASY to overindulge when it comes to Christmas, so why not swap your traditional chocolate advent calendar for a fragrant alternative this December. Home Bargains is selling an Air Wick scented calendar advent calendar that costs less than a...
Daily Mail Online › Lifestyle › 3 weeks ago
Gianna Wrightman was set on fire while playing with a scented candle in her grandmother's house in Algonac, Michigan. Her mother said the youngster was 'unrecognisable' when she arrived at hospital.
Sign In

Sign in to follow sources and tags you love, and get personalized stories.

Continue with Google
OR