A diarrhoea outbreak at a five-star TUI resort has left ‘hundreds’ queuing to see a hotel doctor and a plane load of passengers detained on the runway, guests have claimed.
Jody Black said she spent most of her holiday this week confined to the toilet in her bedroom.
She claimed ‘hundreds of guests’ at Hotel Riu Touareg in Cape Verde were waiting to record themselves as sick with the TUI rep at the hotel.
While another guest said paramedics boarded her return flight at Manchester Airport earlier this month to begin immediate checks on sick guests.
And then there was a very colourful reviewer on TripAdvisor who said her ‘intestines came crashing down in a typhoon of sweetcorn and sewage’.
Ms Black said there was a ‘smell of sewage around the restaurants and flies over the food’, while the main pool was shut for most of a day for a ‘deep clean’.
TUI’s ‘resort team’ sent a letter to guests saying a ‘small number’ of people were showing symptoms similar to ‘gastroenteritis’.
Gastroenteritis is highly contagious and can be transmitted through contact with an infected person or contaminated food and drink. Symptoms include diarrhoea, stomach cramps, vomiting and fever.
Sick guests were told to stay in their rooms and keep away from public toilets, pools and restaurants, until 48 hours after the symptoms have passed.
But Ms Black said TUI’s statement about a ‘small’ number was a ‘significant understatement.’
She said: ‘The hotel doctor is fully booked until the day before we are due to fly home.
‘Pool guests are in the toilets spilling their guts and then hopping back in the pool.’
Ms Black claims the doctor charged her €200 (£170) for an ‘injection and six different types of medications’.
She added: ‘There are several others at the hotel who are experiencing the same symptoms.’
In contrast, Seema Thomas said she had an ‘amazing time’ with her husband at the hotel earlier this month, but was concerned about the number of people falling ill.
She said there were ‘queues outside the doctor’s room’ and her return flight to the UK was detained on the runway at Manchester Airport.
She told Metro.co.uk: ‘We had to wait for a medical team to check before they gave the ok to leave the plane.
‘The passengers who declared themselves ill were asked to remain behind on the plane to be assessed further.
She added: ‘A lot of people staying at the hotel had been experiencing illnesses a few days before I left the hotel.
‘There were queues outside the doctor’s room in the hotel, parts of the pool were closed and staff were spraying hand sanitiser on everyone that entered the restaurants.’
Riu Touareg has a four-star average rating on TripAdvisor from nearly 11,000 guests, but reports of a ‘dreaded gastro bug’ feature in dozens of recent reviews.
One colourful reviewer said her ‘intestines came crashing down in a typhoon of sweetcorn and sewage’.
She wrote: ‘I don’t normally write reviews mid-stay, but here alone on this porcelain throne I find myself needing to eloquently express my shock that is the Riu Touareg.
‘I had excursions lined up and eager to experience…and yet quad biking with my gut in this state would lead to only what can be described as a faecal oil spill from ones now exhausted hole.
‘The first 2 days were a delight, my bowels solid and impressive to any physician.’
She added: ‘And then my world and intestines came crashing down in a typhoon of sweetcorn and sewage. Usain Bolt had nothing on me after my dinner in the main restaurant, beer in hand obviously, and I’m grateful for wedge high heels as these projected me to a solid 12mph to my room.’
One positive reviewer said her recent stay was ‘perfect’ but advised other guests to come prepared for the ‘bug’.
She wrote: ‘With regards to the “bug”, we were lucky I guess and didn’t suffer but spoke to a few that had or still having an awful time.’
A TUI spokesperson said customer safety is their ‘number one priority’ and they are ‘happy’ to speak with concerned guests due to stay at Riu Touareg.
In a statement, the spokesperson said: ‘We can confirm a small number of guests at the RIU Touraeg have reported being ill with symptoms consistent with gastroenteritis.
‘We’re working closely with the hotel and have put increased hygiene protocols in place, on top of the already stringent measures.
‘We would be happy to speak to any customers due to stay at the hotel if they have any questions.
‘The safety of our customers is always our number one priority and we would like to reassure
customers that we closely audit all of the hotels we work with to ensure they meet our high health and safety standards.
‘Situations like this are extremely rare.’