- If you're a low handicap player looking for a great set of blade-style irons, the Mizuno Golf MP-5 irons deliver the shot-making and shaping you want from this style of iron, yet they also are more forgiving of off-center hits than is typical.
- Additionally, this eight-piece set includes a 3- and 4-iron, making it a good value.
Most golfers have heard the saying, "drive for show and putt for dough," meaning big-hitting drives from the tee are impressive, but those who win tournaments make clutch putts.
However, that saying forgets one huge part of the game: Iron play. Hitting an accurate iron shot can make that putt much shorter and easier to make. And strong iron play can make up for some bad shots off the tee.
The design of the irons in your golf bag has undergone quite a few changes in the past couple of decades, delivering greater accuracy and distance for all skill levels. Irons can be expensive, so it's important to buy the right set of irons to your shot-making skills.
A set of irons will consist of several clubs, all featuring a similar look. However, each individual iron in the set delivers a different angle of the clubface to the ball, which results in varying distances and trajectories. Irons will have shafts of different lengths, too.
An iron set should contain at least a 5-iron through a pitching wedge, and include six clubs. A 4-iron will appear in many seven-club sets, while others will substitute a sand wedge. If you want a 3-iron in your set, you may have to search a bit, as many iron sets made for average and high handicap players don't offer long irons anymore because long irons are difficult to hit properly, according to Where's My Caddie.
Here are the best golf iron sets you can buy:
- Best irons overall: Mizuno MP-20 Irons Set
- Best irons for average to high handicap golfers: Callaway Big Bertha Irons Set
- Best irons for low handicap golfers: Titleist 718 AP2 Irons Set
- Best irons for extra distance: Cobra King Forged TEC Irons Set
- Best irons on a budget: Wilson Staff D300 Irons Set
Updated on 10/23/2019 by Owen Burke: Added Mizuno's MP-20 line (replacing our previous, now unavailable top pick, the MP-5), and updated prices, formatting, and disclaimer. Stay tuned for further updates.