Dog’s tongue nearly cut in half after getting stuck in a rubber ball

Metro 0 month ago
A beloved dog nearly lost her tongue after getting it stuck in a rubber ball (Kennedy News/Foxhall Veterinary Clinic)
A beloved dog nearly lost her tongue after getting it stuck in a rubber ball (Kennedy News/Foxhall Veterinary Clinic)

A ‘traumatised’ couple are warning against leaving pets unattended after their dog nearly lost her tongue when she got it stuck in a plastic ball.

Poppy was left with huge chunks on either side of her tongue missing when the tissue turned necrotic due to restricted blood flow.

Owners Helen and James Hartley rushed her to the vets in Ruskington, Lincolnshire, after her tongue was left dangling from a single thread of flesh earlier this month.

Surgeons at the Foxhall Veterinary Clinic stitched up Poppy’s tongue and are now sharing her story to highlight the dangers of leaving pets unattended.

Helen and James thanked the vets who helped their dog ‘from the bottom of our hearts’ and said: ‘It was really traumatic for us all.’

PIC FROM Kennedy News/Foxhall Veterinary Clinic (PICTURED: POPPY WITH 'CHUNKS' OF HER TONGUE MISSING AFTER GETTING IT STUCK IN A BALL) A 'traumatised' couple are warning dog owners about leaving pets unattended after their beloved pooch's tongue was nearly cut in HALF by getting stuck in a rubber ball toy. Graphic images show poor Poppy with huge chunks of each side of her tongue missing after the tissue turned necrotic due to restricted blood flow earlier this month. Due to the injury Poppy was unable to eat or drink properly, so owners Helen and James Hartley brought her into Foxhall Veterinary Clinic in Ruskington, Lincolnshire. SEE KENNEDY NEWS COPY - 0161 697 4266
Poppy’s tongue had huge chunks missing from each side (Kennedy News/Foxhall Veterinary Clinic)

Helen said: ‘She’s been so well loved by everybody at the surgery and we couldn’t have asked for a more dedicated team.

‘Poppy sends sloppy kisses.’

The couple had returned home from work to find Poppy with her tongue stuck in a plastic dog toy rubber ball.

They managed to wrestle the ball from her month and tongue but noticed her acting strangely and that she was unable to eat or drink.

Vets noticed the front half of Poppy’s tongue was very swollen and had a red line from the ball, but she seemed otherwise fine.

She was given medication and booked in for daily check-ups.

But during the next few days, the red on Poppy’s tongue turned into bruising which started to smell foul and develop white pus.

PIC FROM Kennedy News/Foxhall Veterinary Clinic (PICTURED: POPPY'S TONGUE SHOWING WHERE THE TISSUE HAD TURNED NECROTIC) A 'traumatised' couple are warning dog owners about leaving pets unattended after their beloved pooch's tongue was nearly cut in HALF by getting stuck in a rubber ball toy. Graphic images show poor Poppy with huge chunks of each side of her tongue missing after the tissue turned necrotic due to restricted blood flow earlier this month. Due to the injury Poppy was unable to eat or drink properly, so owners Helen and James Hartley brought her into Foxhall Veterinary Clinic in Ruskington, Lincolnshire. SEE KENNEDY NEWS COPY - 0161 697 4266
The vets who saved Poppy’s tongue warn of the dangers of leaving pets unattended (Kennedy News/Foxhall Veterinary Clinic)

The flesh on her tongue eventually turned necrotic and died, leaving Poppy with two giant slits on either side where the ball had been.

During surgery all the dead tissue was removed and Poppy’s tongue was stitched back together.

A Foxhall Veterinary Clinic spokesperson said: ‘The surgery was successful and our nurses couldn’t believe it when Poppy ate and drank as soon as she woke up.

‘We’re happy to report that Poppy’s tongue has pretty much healed now, she is using her tongue normally to drink and can still give plenty of kisses.

‘The stitches are in place but will eventually dissolve.

‘We’ve all grown very attached to Poppy here at Foxhall and we will miss her daily visits.

‘Poppy’s owners wanted us to share her story to highlight the dangers of leaving your dog unattended with toys, no matter how innocent they seem.’

Tags: Dogs, UK

Source link
Read also:
New York Post › 0 month ago
A traumatized couple have told how their dog’s tongue was left hanging by a thread after it got stuck in a toy rubber ball. Horrific photos show poor pooch Poppy with huge chunks of each side of her tongue missing after the tissue died when blood...
The Sun › 0 month ago
A TRAUMATISED couple have told how their dog’s tongue was left hanging by a thread after it was almost sliced off – by a toy. Shock snaps show poor pooch Poppy with huge chunks of each side of her tongue missing after the tissue died when blood...
Daily Mail Online › 3 weeks ago
WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT. Helen and James Hartley brought Poppy into Foxhall Veterinary Clinic in Lincolnshire after she got her tongue stuck in a rubber toy.
New York Post › Lifestyle › 2 weeks ago
A 7-year-old boy in Germany landed in a medical journal after getting his tongue stuck inside a glass bottle while trying to drink the last drops of juice. The boy, who was not identified in the report, was rushed to Auf der Bult Children’s Hospital...
Daily Mail Online › 3 weeks ago
The young boy, from Makassar, Indonesia, sticks his tongue out at the snake held by an older boy. The snake lurches forward and painfully latches onto the child's tongue.
Business Insider › Lifestyle › 3 weeks ago
During a Colorado vaping focus group for teens, many young vapers said they had experienced vape tongue, a condition where vape juice desensitizes a person's tongue so they can't taste flavors, according to The Wall Street Journal. Vape juice...
Chicago Tribune › Lifestyle › 1 week ago
Moody Tongue launches ambitious tasting menu brewery experience with The Dining Room at Moody Tongue
Reuters › 15 hours ago
Chile's police chief said on Tuesday he has suspended the use of rubber bullets to quell national unrest after a university study revealed they could be made up of as little as 20% rubber and contain harmful substances such as lead.
The New York Times › 11 hours ago
Chile's police chief said on Tuesday he has suspended the use of rubber bullets to quell national unrest after a university study revealed they could be made up of as little as 20% rubber and contain harmful substances such as lead.
New York Post › 2 weeks ago
Nestlé is voluntarily recalling some of its ready-to-bake cookie dough products because they might be contaminated by rubber, company officials said. The recall of 26 products in all due to the potential of “food-grade rubber pieces” includes...
Sign In

Sign in to follow sources and tags you love, and get personalized stories.

Continue with Google
OR