- Not everyone is born with pin-straight hair, but even if your hair is super curly, a good hair straightener can give you the sleek look you crave.
- The HSI Professional hair straightener is our top pick because it provides high-quality, professional results for all kinds of hair types at a budget-friendly price. But there are a few others you might want to look at before deciding.
- You can also check out our guide to the best heat protectant sprays under $25.
If you want to achieve sleek, pin-straight hair, a high-quality hair straightener should be in your beauty arsenal. A hair straightener, also known as a flat iron, smooths the follicle of your hair between two heated plates. Some hair straighteners can even do double duty, creating loose waves and curls without the frizz. So how to choose the best hair straightener for you, and get those shampoo commercial-worthy locks? There are several things to consider to make sure you'll get the best style result, but the most important is hair type.
No two heads of hair are the same, so the straightener that does wonders on your best friend's fine tresses may be useless on your curly mane. Luckily, there are many different types of hair straighteners. Some provide higher heat settings and wide plates to tackle thick curly hair, and others have ceramic plates and options for low heat settings that are better suited to easily damaged fine hair.
Your hair type should be the first thing you consider before purchasing a hair straightener to make sure you're buying one that will give you the best results. We also have more tips to help you shop later on in our guide.
We've taken everything into consideration and read the buyer reviews to find the best hair straighteners that will help you achieve salon-quality results in your own home.
Here are the best hair straighteners you can buy:
- Best hair straightener overall: HSI Professional Hair Straightener
- Best luxury hair straightener: GHD Gold Professional Styling Iron
- Best for thick hair: Xtava Pro Satin Infrared Flat Iron
- Best for fine hair: Karmin G3 Salon Professional Styling Iron
- Best for travel: BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Mini Hair Straightener
Updated on 10/21/2019 by Mara Leighton: Updated prices and formatting. Added a few related links. We are currently testing new products, so we'll update this guide soon.