THE parents of hit-and-run victim Harry Dunn have said they will only meet the US diplomat’s wife suspected of causing his death if she promises to return to Britain.
Devastated Charlotte Charles, 44, and Tim Dunn, 50, touched down in New York on Sunday ahead of a potential meeting with suspect Anne Sacoolas.
Sacoolas claimed immunity and fled back to the US after allegedly killing Harry, 19, while driving on the wrong side of the road outside an RAF base on August 27.
But on Sunday, the UK’s Foreign Office said Sacoolas, 42, is no longer covered by diplomatic immunity – because she is now in the US.
Family spokesman Radd Seiger said the parents will only meet her if she promises to come back to the UK and face the consequences.
He told Sky News: “It’s important to make clear, it’s all about her coming back.
“For the family, the non-negotiable red line in the sand is that she must return to the UK and face the consequences and I’m awaiting a response to that
“There’s not much point in meeting and having pleasantries if that commitment isn’t there.”
Speaking about the immunity development, Charlotte told the BBC: “The letter from the FCO was amazing, we felt like we finally had a breakthrough.
“We finally had confirmed that the immunity that we didn’t think she had has been confirmed, that she doesn’t have it, certainly since she absconded back to the USA.”
The heartbroken parents now believe they are “stepping in the right direction” and hope to have a face-to-face meeting with Sacoolas.
They also want to meet US President Donald Trump to vent their fury at the handling of the case.
Their son Harry, 19, died seven weeks ago when Sacoolas, 42, allegedly smashed into his motorbike while driving her Volvo outside RAF Croughton, in Northamptonshire.
She claimed immunity in the wake of the fatal crash because her husband Jonathan worked in intelligence the base.
When it emerged that Sacoolas no longer had this protection, the American finally broke her silence and offered to meet with Harry’s family to “express her deepest sympathies and apologies”.
But Charlotte told Sky News that “sorry just doesn’t cut it” and “that’s not really quite enough”.
Speaking to Sky News, the devastated mum said: “My opinion on Anne Sacoolas now wanting to come forward and say sorry – to be perfectly honest, yes it’s the start of some closure for our family.
“Having said that, as it’s nearly seven weeks now since we lost our boy, sorry just doesn’t cut it.”
Earlier, they were handed the letter from Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab confirming Sacoolas does not have immunity.
The letter said: “The question remains when such immunity comes to an end, regardless of any waiver.
“We have looked at this very carefully, as I wanted to be confident in the position before conveying it to you.
“The UK government’s position is that immunity, and therefore any question of waiver, is no longer relevant in Mrs Sacoolas’ case, because she has returned home.
“The US have now informed us that they too consider that immunity is no longer pertinent.”
‘I’M OVER THE MOON’
The letter goes on to say the police and the CPS would now take the case forward.
And Tim Dunn said Mr Raab’s letter was “excellent news”.
He told Sky: “It doesn’t replace not having Harry..we still would rather Harry in our lives and we are still going to America and we will fight to get this law changed.
“We’ve still got this to do for other people but as of tonight, I’m over the moon…I’m so, so happy.”
‘MEET AT THE EARLIEST OPPORTUNITY’
Harry’s family had appealed to Mr Raab to intervene in the case but were told the US government had twice refused requests for Sacoolas‘ immunity to be waived.
Mum Charlotte had previously described Sacoolas’ protection as an “abuse of diplomatic immunity”.
CRASH ‘BROKE’ HIS BODY
Speaking to The Sunday Times, she told how the last time she saw her son alive was when he rode past her on the motorbike as she made her way home from work.
She said: “I put my hand up and I smiled to myself and thought: ‘I’ll see you in a couple of hours’.
“The next time I saw him was a few hours later. But he was lying dead in the hospital.”
Charlotte revealed her tragic son “broke” his body in the devastating crash – but his £700 helmet left his “beautiful” face unscathed.
She has hit out at Sacoolas for fleeing the country without giving answers – and said the nightmare ordeal has affected Harry’s twin brother Niall the most.