- The best art supplies can cost a pretty penny, but you don't have to spend all your savings to get great materials.
- We've rounded up the best traditional art supplies you can buy online, including graphite, charcoal, pastels, watercolors, acrylic, oil paints, sketchbooks, canvas, and more.
If you're going off to art school or you just love to create, you need quality art supplies. While artists who've made it past the "starving artist" stage may use incredibly expensive supplies to create their masterpieces, you don't have to spend an arm and a leg on top-tier materials. Often, more affordable options will serve you just as well, provided you have the know-how to make them work to your advantage. We've rounded up many of the basic art supplies you need in your studio in one handy guide.
As someone who's been drawing since I could hold a crayon, I've been through my fair share of graphite pencils, charcoal, sketchbooks, erasers, and paint sets. I've tried dozens of different brands over the years, and some are still my favorites.
Here are the best art supplies you can buy:
- Best sketchbooks: Strathmore sketchbooks
- Best graphite pencils: Staedtler Pencil Mars Lumograph 12-Piece Set
- Best charcoal: General 33-piece charcoal set
- Best colored pencils: Prismacolor Quality Art 48 Pencil Set
- Best erasers: Prismacolor Premier Kneaded, ArtGum, and Plastic Erasers
- Best pastels: Sennelier, Van Gogh, Koh-i-noor, and Prismacolor
- Best watercolors: Winsor & Newton watercolor paint and Derwent watercolor pencils
- Best acrylic paints: Liquitex BASICS Set and Winsor & Newton Galeria Set
- Best oil paints: Winsor & Newton, Gamblin, and Williamsburg
- Best paintbrushes: Da Vinci brushes
- Best canvas: Fredrix canvas
Updated on 11/04/2019 by Remi Rosmarin: Updated prices, links, and formatting. We will update this guide soon with more great art supplies.