- Underwear's one of those things many us guys don't pay much attention. You might not see it all that much, but you feel every bit of it all day long, every day.
- Our favorite underwear comes from Saxx, whose proprietary -- and arguably revolutionary — "Ballpark Pouch" is designed to hold everything in place while keeping chafing, bunching, and perspiration at bay.
Gentlemen, if you've had trouble finding and wearing underwear you can bear, know this: You're not alone. Some underwear, such as certain briefs, can be a horrendous besiege on the groin and everything therein. But then again, more accommodating boxers can result in a bunched-up, tangled, and constrictive mess, too. Where, oh where is that enigmatic middle ground?
Men's underwear isn't the most exciting thing in the world to shop for, we get it. But what a nightmare it can be when you realize you've bought the wrong pair. Boxers? Briefs? Boxer briefs? Which is the right style for whom? The list goes on. Too compressive, to loose and bunchy, or poorly sewn seams that chafe and scratch, the horrors can be endless.
Newer brands like Saxx and Icebreaker are trying to change that with inventive new designs and new and improved fabrics.
Cotton, for many of us, will always remain king, but mostly because it's cheap. It rides up, chafes, and gets wet and stays that way, making the chafing even worse. There's Pima cotton (pricier stuff with longer, silkier fibers), bamboo, silk and wool, as well as Viscose, Lyocell, Tencel, and Modal (all natural-based fiber made from wood pulp), and so on.
Figuring out which fabric best suits you and your activities can be consuming — and expensive. We're here to help you cut through all, or at the very least some of that.
Here are our favorite men's underwear brands:
- Best men's underwear overall: Saxx
- Best affordable men's underwear: Hanes
- Best odor-resistant men's underwear: Icebreaker
- Best sustainable men's underwear: Organic Basics
- Best silk underwear for men: Derek Rose
Updated on 10/21/19 by Owen Burke: The male contingent of Insider Picks is currently in the processing of testing and retesting a number of other popular underwear brands including MeUndies, Mack Weldon, Tommy John, with a fresh update coming soon.