Oregon teen dies of bacterial meningitis: report

Fox News Lifestyle 1 month ago
Fox News Flash top headlines for Oct. 23 are here. Check out what's clicking on Foxnews.com

A 16-year-old Oregon high school student has reportedly died of bacterial meningitis, according to a local report.

The student, who was not identified, was a sophomore at St. Helens High School.

“Doctors suspect bacterial meningitis caused his death. Test results are expected later this week to pinpoint the exact cause,” according to a letter from the school district obtained by KATU2, which noted the teen was on the wrestling team at the high school.

Other students may have been exposed to the disease, so health officials are working to identify anyone who may require preventative antibiotics.

Bacterial meningitis, according to Medical News Today, is the “most serious type of meningitis.” Many different types of bacteria can cause the disease. Symptoms typically include nausea and vomiting, headache and stiff neck, sensitivity to light, confusion and cold hands and feet. Mottled skin and a “rash that does not fade under pressure,” are also signs.

A vaccine can prevent the disease, which can spread from person to person through kissing or coughing.


Source link
Read also:
Daily Mail Online › Lifestyle › 2 months ago
Aaron Phipps, 36, a Paralympian and GB wheelchair rugby player, was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis and sepsis at 15. He survived but had to have both legs amputated.
Daily Mail Online › Lifestyle › 2 weeks ago
A new paper has discussed the case of two 14-year-old boys who were diagnosed with meningitis after the chickenpox vaccine they received as children allegedly reactivated.
The Sun › 2 weeks ago
TWO teenagers have contracted meningitis after the chickenpox vaccine reactivated in them, according to doctors. The 14-year-old boys, who have not been named, had received the recommended two doses of the varicella vaccine as children. However, medics...
The Sun › 1 month ago
A STUDENT at Bath Spa University has died after contracting suspected meningitis. The third year was rushed to hospital at the weekend and passed away suddenly – with his flatmates and people who had been in close contact warned. More to follow...
Evening Standard › 1 month ago
Officials in the UK have urged people "not to panic" as they work to prevent the further spread of a Meningitis strain which killed a student.
Manchester Evening News › 3 weeks ago
Luke Brown succumbed to a deadly strain of meningitis - but his organs were used to save the lives of three other people
Manchester Evening News › 3 weeks ago
Luke Brown succumbed to a deadly strain of meningitis - but his organs were used to save the lives of three other people
New York Post › 2 months ago
A 7-year-old girl in England lost both of her feet to meningitis after doctors mistakenly sent her home saying she only had a “tummy bug,” according to a report Sunday. “The damage was done within just a few hours,” the girl’s mother, Aimee...
Fox News › Lifestyle › 1 month ago
A now 11-year-old British girl lost both of her feet after doctors reportedly mistook her meningitis symptoms for a stomach virus.
The New York Times › 2 months ago
A Pennsylvania hospital says it is transferring some infants following a bacterial infection in its neonatal intensive care unit that affected eight newborns, three of whom have died.
Sign In

Sign in to follow sources and tags you love, and get personalized stories.

Continue with Google
OR