Congolese journalist who worked to raise Ebola awareness killed in attack, officials say

New York Daily News Incident 2 weeks ago

A radio journalist in the Congo who aimed to raise awareness about Ebola was killed Sunday in an attack, authorities said.

Officials are working to determine a motive in the death of Papy Mahamba Mumbere.

In addition to being employed by a radio station in the Ituri province of the Central African country, Mumbere was also a health worker in Lwemba.

Officials said Mumbere was “involved in raising the awareness of his community regarding the country’s tenth Ebola outbreak,” according to ABC News.

Mumbere’s wife was critically injured in the attack.

Two suspects have been apprehended, officials in East Congo said.

Attacks on health workers are sometimes suspected to be due to the assailants believing their victims make a lot of money in those jobs.

The current Ebola outbreak in the Congo’s eastern provinces of North Kivu, Ituri and South Kivu began in August 2018, with 2,068 people dying from confirmed Ebola cases, according to ABC News. Overall, 2,185 people have died, with the unconfirmed deaths considered the result of probable cases.

With News Wire Service


Source link
Read also:
The New York Times › 2 weeks ago
Authorities in eastern Congo say a journalist who was working to spread awareness about the Ebola crisis has been killed.
The New York Times › 1 week ago
Congolese forces said on Saturday they had killed 25 Islamist rebels since launching an offensive against them late last month in an eastern region also struggling with an Ebola outbreak.
Reuters › 1 week ago
Congolese forces said on Saturday they had killed 25 Islamist rebels since launching an offensive against them late last month in an eastern region also struggling with an Ebola outbreak.
Al Jazeera › Lifestyle › 1 week ago
DRC health officials roll out new vaccine to fight Ebola in east. But some scientists say it has not been fully tested.
One America News Network › 3 weeks ago
By Alessandra Prentice DAKAR (Reuters) - The World Health Organization and Congolese authorities are proposing changes to how some Ebola patients are cared for, new guidelines show, after a patient's
The New York Times › 3 weeks ago
The World Health Organization and Congolese authorities are proposing changes to how some Ebola patients are cared for, new guidelines show, after a patient's death challenged the accepted medical theory that survivors are immune to reinfection.
Breitbart › Lifestyle › 2 weeks ago
Unknown assailants stabbed a journalist to death in DR Congo known for warning on radio about the spread of Ebola.
The Guardian › 2 months ago
World Health Organization frustrated by lack of clinical data sharing, while Tanzania insists its tests show disease is not Ebola Several unexplained cases of a disease with Ebola-like symptoms in Tanzania have prompted an extraordinary statement from...
The Guardian › 1 month ago
This is the 10th Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo. It’s also the largest and longest ever. More than 2,000 people have died since the outbreak started in August 2018. As part of the UN Ebola emergency response, the Red Cross is...
The Sun › 1 month ago
DOCTORS in Sweden are today investigating a suspected case of Ebola, it has been reported. A patient was rushed to Skane University Hospital in Malmo with symptoms linked to the deadly virus. “There are confirmed cases of Ebola in the area where the...
Sign In

Sign in to follow sources and tags you love, and get personalized stories.

Continue with Google
OR