CIA chief says there's no need to worry, 'nothing imminent' in US-North Korea standoff

Business Insider Finance 10 days ago

Washington (AFP) - CIA director Mike Pompeo offered assurances Sunday there was "nothing imminent" in the US standoff with nuclear-armed North Korea but said he wouldn't be surprised if Pyongyang conducted another missile test.

Pompeo's remarks cap a week in which US President Donald Trump vowed "fire and fury" if North Korea continued to threaten the United States with nuclear weapons, and Pyongyang countered by announcing plans to test-launch missiles toward Guam.

Asked how worried people should be, Pompeo told Fox News Sunday: "Nothing imminent."

"There's nothing imminent today. But make no mistake about it ... the increased chance that there will be a nuclear missile in Denver is a very serious threat."

Pressed on his "nothing imminent" statement, Pompeo said: "What I'm talking about is, I've heard folks talking about that we have been on the cusp of a nuclear war. No intelligence that would indicate we are in that place today."

He said the US intelligence community has "a pretty good idea" about what's going on in North Korea.

He added that he was confident North Korea would continue to develop its missile capabilities under its leader Kim Jong-Un, "so it wouldn't surprise me if there was another test.

"He conducted two in July so it wouldn't surprise me if there's another missile test," Pompeo said.

The missile tests last month demonstrated that the nuclear-armed regime now has intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) capable of reaching the US mainland, experts said.

The Washington Post reported this week that the US Defense Intelligence Agency has concluded that North Korea has developed a miniaturized nuclear warhead that could be put atop an ICBM.

Pompeo declined to say how long it will be before North Korea could carry out such a nuclear attack on the US mainland.

"It is probably fair to say that they are moving towards that at an ever alarming rate."

US National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster echoed the tenor of Pompeo's remarks, saying the threat posed by North Korea is "coming to a head," but adding in an interview on ABC, "we're not closer to war than a week ago."

"Our response is we're prepared militarily to deal with this if necessary. We're taking all possible actions short of military action, to resolve this very grave threat to the united states and the world."

Open source
Read also:
The Hill 10 days ago
Ret. Navy Adm. James Stavridis warned that tensions between the U.S. and North Korea are in "an upward spiral," and urged President Trump to pursue a...
NY Daily News Politics 11 days ago
President Trump joked that North Korea’s threats to attack Guam would help boost tourism to the U.S. territory. In a recorded phone call to Guam...
Washington Post Travel 12 days ago
Calls for more intense diplomacy on North Korea vied Friday with threats of force, with little sense of what strategy would prevail in Washington or...
Washington Post Travel 12 days ago
The U.S. military does not appear to be moving toward a wartime footing with North Korea despite President Trump’s repeated threats this week of...
The Hill 12 days ago
Guam has posted “in case of emergency” fact sheets to its social media pages and website in the wake of North Korea’s threat against the island.The...
USA Today Politics 10 days ago
Top administration officials said Sunday the latest intelligence about North Korea does not point to the outbreak of war.  
Reuters Politics 10 days ago
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Central Intelligence Agency Director Mike Pompeo said on Sunday he would not be surprised if North Korea tested another...
BBC News 10 days ago
CIA Director Mike Pompeo said Pyongyang was moving at an "ever-alarming rate" with its weapons programme and another missile test would not be...
NY Daily News 10 days ago
WASHINGTON (AP) — Senior U.S. national security officials say a military confrontation with North Korea's isn't imminent. But they're also saying...
Politico Politics 10 days ago
CIA Director Mike Pompeo said Sunday that there is no “imminent” threat of North Korea attacking the U.S. with a nuclear weapon, but he still expects...
One click to connect
Select a social network to associate your account