Home Feeds Baby accidentally swallows nail clipper and has to have surgery to remove...

Baby accidentally swallows nail clipper and has to have surgery to remove it

36
0

Baby accidentally swallows nail clipper and has to have surgery to remove it
Baby accidentally swallows nail clipper and has to have surgery to remove it
Baby accidentally swallows nail clipper and has to have surgery to remove it
Baby accidentally swallows nail clipper and has to have surgery to remove it

A nail clipper was removed from the throat of an eight-month-old child after he mistakenly swallowed it. See SWNS story SWFSneck. Pictures show medics operating on the child at the Dr. Vasantrao Pawar Medical College in Adgaon, after he swallowed it whilst playing. X-rays show the 5cm long nail clipper lodged in the boys throat. Medics removed the object in an hour-long operation and the child is now recovering.
X-rays revealed a clipper swallowed by the baby had become stuck (Picture: SWNS)

An eight-month-old boy is recovering from surgery to remove a nail clipper stuck in his throat.

The baby was rushed to hospital in Nashik, western India, when his parents saw him play with the two-inch metal cutter and swallow it before they could react.

X-rays revealed the object had become lodged just below the neck, almost completely blocking his passageway.

It’s thought to have travelled far down enough that he could still breathe, but posed a serious danger if it travelled into his stomach.

He was referred to specialists at the Dr. Vasantrao Pawar Medical College, who managed to remove it in an hour-long operation.

Doctors said the child is doing well after the procedure.

Young children can suffer severe injuries if they swallow even very small objects as their intestinal lining is not yet tough enough to pass them through without damage.

A nail clipper was removed from the throat of an eight-month-old child after he mistakenly swallowed it. See SWNS story SWFSneck. Pictures show medics operating on the child at the Dr. Vasantrao Pawar Medical College in Adgaon, after he swallowed it whilst playing. X-rays show the 5cm long nail clipper lodged in the boys throat. Medics removed the object in an hour-long operation and the child is now recovering.
The two-inch metal clipper could have caused severe injuries if it travelled further down the boy’s oesophagus (Picture: SWNS)
A nail clipper was removed from the throat of an eight-month-old child after he mistakenly swallowed it. See SWNS story SWFSneck. Pictures show medics operating on the child at the Dr. Vasantrao Pawar Medical College in Adgaon, after he swallowed it whilst playing. X-rays show the 5cm long nail clipper lodged in the boys throat. Medics removed the object in an hour-long operation and the child is now recovering.
It took surgeons an hour to carefully extract the object (Picture: SWNS)
A nail clipper was removed from the throat of an eight-month-old child after he mistakenly swallowed it. See SWNS story SWFSneck. Pictures show medics operating on the child at the Dr. Vasantrao Pawar Medical College in Adgaon, after he swallowed it whilst playing. X-rays show the 5cm long nail clipper lodged in the boys throat. Medics removed the object in an hour-long operation and the child is now recovering.
The boy is thought to have swallowed the clipper before his parents could react (Picture: SWNS)

Surgeons who extracted 23 magnets from a six-year-old girl in Lewes, Sussex, last year, said the accident could have been ‘fatal’.

She had been playing with them at school before taking them home to try and imitate a TikTok trend in which young people pretend to have piercings on their tongues by placing magnets on either side of them.

The magnets were so strong that they clamped together in her intestines as she swallowed them over the course of a few days.

This caused vomiting and tears in her bowels which were initially diagnosed as appendicitis before doctors identified the magnets through X-rays and rushed her into surgery, which she later recovered from, her mum told the BBC.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.